Well honestly it was because I was scared of it.. really! Pressure cookers intimidated me.. and I was always afraid of doing something wrong in my canning and making everyone sick.. LOL But our freezer breaking a few months ago made me learn really quick! Since then we have made peach and grape jellies/jams, pinto beans, a yummy winter soup and I am getting ready to do sweet potatoes. Today i realized that we have used up all our pinto beans.. wow they are such a pleasure to have on hand! One day of canning the beans adds up to weeks of easy to make meals on hand.. That is a blessing! I am putting some pinto beans in the pressure cooker now so we can make refried beans for our tacos for dinner.. then tonight I will can beans again and tomorrow I'll do my sweet potatoes. I am looking forward to having this all done and on hand :)
1 week ago









4 comments:
Okay, you're inspiring me! I've never canned, either, for the same reasons you mentioned. Maybe I should try it...
I was always scared of canning, too. DH and I did it for the first time this year. We only did the hot bath canning though and canned homemade jams and applesauce.
Way to go!
I have been keeping my eye on freecycle for canning jars, so far I have gotten about 60 of them, a mixture of both large and small sizes.
I have never done the pressure canning, but only the water bath for our pizza/spaghetti sauce. Next year I hope to do the applesauce in jars instead of in the freezer.
Post a Comment